Pages

Money well spent

It's been quite a journey, this making apple butter. Back when I first got the incling to try it, I thought I would prep all of the apples by hand. I saw a fancy apple peeler at the orchard when we picked our delicious fruit, but I didn't even really look at it. How hard can peeling a few apples be? HA! Shows how much I know!

Last weekend when I started working on the apples Friday evening, everyone asked if I needed help and I said, "Oh, no, I've got it." About 20 minutes later when I had only finished four apples, my sweet family had enough and they came in to quickly form an assembly line. We were peeling apples with regular vegetable peelers and slicing them by hand. While it took a little time, it wasn't so bad with everyone pitching in.

After all of that work though, our sweet treat didn't stick around very long and I quickly determined that I must make another batch. With two of my peeps back home in Indy, I had lost my crew so I finally decided to cave in and splurge a bit on an apple peeler/corer/slicer.




When it arrived yesterday, I was so excited I could hardly stand it. Such a sight for sore fingers and hands! When I realized just how quick and easy my job had become I got more and more ecstatic. All of those perfect peelings had to be put to good use... They made fabulous edible neclaces! Can't you tell how thrilled my models are?



OK, I am willing to admit in the privacy of this space that I might have had a few glasses of wine before I began. Mommy was feeling good and was quickly falling head over heels in love with a simple kitchen gadget. It was a Wednesday night from heaven.



This morning we woke up to apple sauce, which was pureed in the crock pot and cooked some more to make delectable apple butter. Yuuuummmm!!!!! This stash should last at least a week.


3 comments:

Jenn said...

Yuuuum!

Us said...

I've never tried Apple Butter. Hmmm....

sara said...

It is so tasty and surprisingly easy to make. All it takes is a lot of time for the apples to cook down. In between, you end up with apple sauce, which I froze for Ms. Addie. She loves the homemade stuff, even though it's heavier on the spices that what we've been giving her. My brother-in-law's mom gave me a really easy recipe that I'll share if you like. :)