Pages

Crazy for couscous

Yesterday, feeling beyond bored with the same old same old, I was stumped with what to have for lunch. With a quick scan of my fridge and pantry, I remembered one of my staple meals I used to make back in the days when I lived alone: Couscous with tomatoes and feta cheese.

Really, it's that simple... and delicious. I cheat and use the boxed couscous that comes with its own spice packet (toasted pine nut is my favorite), but you can use plain cooked in chicken broth and add whatever herbs you like. Prepare your couscous, add halved cherry tomatoes and a large handful of crumbled feta cheese**. This time I added some rotisserie chicken to up the protein and it was pretty tasty as well. Besides, I figured some leftovers would be consumed by my husband and he is an, "if there's no meat, it's not a meal" kind of guy. That's it. So good and ready in about 10 minutes--that includes the time it took for the water to come to a boil.



**Very important note: Do not even think about using reduced fat or heaven forbid, fat free feta. It is rubbery and gross. If you try it, I will have to hunt you down and smack some sense into you with an 8 oz. block of the real thing.

No comments: