Pages

What keeps me going

March is almost half way over and I am still flying high on this month's step toward balance. Maybe it's because the weather was gorgeous and Addie and I were able to spend quite a bit of time outside. Maybe it's because I am obsessed (just ask my husband) with this whole fresh bread whenever I want thing.  Whatever it is that's saturating my mind with incredible memories, it doesn't matter. Shifting my perspective to actively search for the great and fabulous moments rather than clinging to the bad has drastically improved my attitude and general state of being.

Last week I talked about finding a way to weekly highlight those perfect moments and thanks to Natalie's suggestion, I think I finally came up with something that will work. Starting today, Fridays on this space will be dedicated to what keeps me going... A moment, a photo, an event or a memory that stands out against whatever might have gone wrong or felt dark in the last seven days.

I would love it if you joined me! Leave a comment to let me know you're participating and each week, I will include a list of everyone who is playing along.

So, what kept me going this week? Aside from Wednesday, I think I have to go with the latest bread recipe I tried yesterday. It's the Soft Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread & Hamburger Buns in what is becoming my new baking bible. One of these days I will get over the magic of this concept, but until I do, I just can't stop myself. I mixed the dough Wednesday night, shaped it up yesterday afternoon, baked the buns & the loaf and now have some of the best bread I have ever tasted quickly disappearing from my countertop.


Addie even got a taste of the action when she saw the stack of buns waiting for her after her nap, and reached out with both hands repeating, "Hold, hold, hold!!!" Of course I had to oblige her and gave her a roll of her very own. We went for a walk and instead of the normal traveling snack of crackers, it was a handfull of bread. My girl! She ate the entire thing and wanted some more, but until I decide that bread alone makes a healthy dinner, I had to decline.


Little Miss. put up a bit of a protest when I tried to document how much she was enjoying her bun, but that made it even funnier to me. Gosh, Mom--I'm eating! How can I blame her? With the heavenly smell of freshly baked bread flowing all through the house, it does seem like indulging in those tasty treats should be some sort of private moment. That being said, there is a part of these recipes that always cracks me up: at the end of each one it says, "allow to cool completely on a rack before slicing and eating". To that I say with as much maturity I can muster... Make me!

p.s. Thank you to everyone who stopped by this space yesterday during the chaos that was me trying to upload a new banner. I think I finally found something that feels right! Happy weekending.

4 comments:

Katie Mellett said...

Count me in! What kept me going this week...my son clapping his hands to The Wiggles every evening on the car ride home from daycare.

Anonymous said...

OK, so you know how good I am at keeping up with ANYTHING on a regular basis, but I'm in. I'll do my best to follow up, and plan to start it with my staff. For this week, mine is the joy of seeing a little girl I've worked with since she was a year old ready for Kindergarten. In spite of her hearing loss she is a true princess - saw her today in a tutu! Mom

Lee Zuhars said...

What kept me going this week was the anticipation of my parents pending return to the US for good. They are still tying up loose ends in Brazil where they have been missionaries for the past 25+ years. They haven't given an actual date yet but it looks like they will be able to return in the next 2 months. I am very excited about having them around.

sara said...

Oh goodness, what great inspiration!

Katie, I need to see some pictures of your babes--it has been way too long and I fear I wouldn't even recognize them!

Mom, that is so awesome! I love that you are thinking of doing this with your staff as well. Please keep me posted on how that goes.

Lee, I am so happy for you and your family to get to have your parents back in the same country! What a great blessing for you all. I will hold you in my prayers and ask for a safe journey and smooth transition for Mom & Dad Z.