Pages

Mommy magic

I think one of the best things about being a mom is the strange ability we have to magically heal our little ones. Whenever Addie has an "owie" or a "boo-boo" she announces that it exists, points to it, gives me a sad little frown face and then waits for me to kiss it. As soon as I do, the pain is gone, she's good as new and already running off in another direction. Man it feels good to have such incredible healing powers. And I never even went to med school.

Even with kids who have an actual injury or are chronically ill, there's nothing like having Mom there to give the comfort and love that Dr.'s can't. We heal in our own way. To this day, when I'm sick or don't feel well, I just want my mom. It doesn't matter how sweet Curt is to me or how much chicken soup I have, there's always that little voice in the back of my mind saying, I wish my mom was here.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if those powers could translate into other areas as well? Now that I've kind of gotten used to this ability I never knew I had, I find that there is a deeper sinking in the pit of my stomach when there's a problem I can't fix. When my sister is packing late into the night miles away and I can't drive over and help. When I'm talking to a loved one who is hurting so badly and there is nothing I can do or say to make her feel better. When someone I care for is very ill and my prayers are the only medicine I have to offer.

I once asked my mom what the hardest age was to parent. She said that the older we get, the harder it is and parenting adults is definitely the most difficult. I didn't understand why and she explained that once we were grown, she couldn't swoop in and fix everything for us anymore. A broken heart, a lost job, a friendship ending... those are things moms can't kiss and make better. She just had to stand by and watch us struggle, offer whatever support she could and trust that we would be OK.

Well, crap. I so wished she would have said 6 months is the hardest so I could wipe the sweat from my brow and know that it's all downhill from here. But I will say that having this token of wisdom does help me to savor these moments I have with Addie when I am The All Powerful Healing Magical Mommy. I can take the pain from your boo-boo's! I can turn your tears into giggles! With just one kiss and a bit of snuggling, all of your fears, hurts and worries will disappear! ...If only for this short while.

No comments: