Pages

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a garden!

My quest to have a successful and bountiful garden has taken another big step toward coming to fruition. On Saturday, Curt and I scurried out into our backyard during a beautiful afternoon while our girl was napping to get our seedlings planted. On one hand, I would have loved it if Addie could have been a part of the process, but I was so very nervous about how fragile the tiny plants still were and was scared to do it myself, let alone have her jump in. Never fear--when we transplant some flowers into our front yard,  I can assure you, she'll be there!

It was such a relief to see my kitchen table go from looking like a very small nursery to having the space back as my own. 

Our little raised bed-in-progress at the back corner of our yard.

Another view, from the side, including our blueberry bushes
and small herb garden.

We covered that area with netting to keep the birds off. One of our bushes has already been stripped of baby berries, but the other still holds promise.

My gorgeous basil and oregano...
I'm already dreaming of caprese salads and pesto.

Here we are, all planted. Cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, okra and lettuce so far... Peppers, heirloom tomatoes and arugula are still on the list.

I tell you, these little guys make me so happy!

We had a lot of rain mixed with medium sized storms and winds move in just hours after we finished, so I'm hoping they will come through it all OK. Either way, this has been a learning experience and I can't wait to see how this space develops... and tastes!

3 comments:

mary said...

Oh Sara, you are going to have so much fun with this! I wheedled Joe into constructing my first 4 by 10 raised bed last year and I was instantly hooked. He teased me about counting my tiny veggies daily (okay, I did) but we all enjoyed it. This year I expanded by adding upside-down tomatoes and potatoes growing in buckets. I'll probably post some pics later. Gotta show off my little green babies. Enjoy!

Lee Zuhars said...

Hey Sara,
My Dad was just talking about this the other day. Don't plant the cucumbers next to the zucchini or any other type of gourd (like pumpkin or squash). They will cross and you will have really weird hybrids. Maybe you already know this.

sara said...

Thanks, Mary! I am so excited and hopeful that it will all work out.

Lee, I did NOT know that! Remember, I am totally flying by the seat of my pants here. They aren't right next to each other, but it is a small space so we could end up with an interesting addition to our salads this year. I'll keep you posted.