Pages

What Keeps Me Going

Fridays on this space are dedicated to sharing what keeps me going... A moment, a photo, an event or a memory that stands out against whatever might have gone wrong or felt dark in the last seven days.


This afternoon I think I might need toothpicks to prop my eyelids open. For some reason, all week I feel like I've been hit by a ton of bricks! Really, I haven't been this tired in months--I suppose the third trimester is to blame. All I remember about this time from my previous pregnancy is that I was ginormous and miserable and itchy. The exhaustion either faded into the background of the other discomforts or it's something new.

Either way, I have been a total slacker with keeping up my daily blog reading and getting things done around the house. In some ways I feel like I've had no choice, but today I am going to take the credit and say that I allowed myself to have a few breaks because two days this week I slept when Addie slept.

I have always treasured her nap time as peaceful moments that I get all to myself. I try and accomplish little things on my to-do list, enjoy a tasty lunch and soak in every second of my "break". I make a plan for what I can get done in about 2 1/2 hours and as soon as she's in her crib, I'm off!

This week has forced me to take a look at what life will most likely be like in about 9 weeks when that afternoon stretch of "me time" will undoubtedly disappear. I don't think I can fully grasp the concept of that reality, but for now, I suppose I don't need to. All I need to do is the best I can--listen to my body and do my best to comply with her wishes.

Because these last 9 weeks are still so very important. This little life inside me is getting so much bigger and stronger. She is working hard at getting ready to join us out in the world, in our arms. And I need to rest up so that my arms will be wide open to hold her, my heart split apart with love and energy so it can engulf her completely, my eyes wide so I can see the miracle of all that she is...

Yes, my afternoon naps and rest time absolutely kept me going amidst the exhaustion and the sharp kicks and jabs that are keeping me awake at night. Soon, I will achingly miss those movements in my tummy and long to remember exactly how it felt when my littlest little was shifting and growing within me. I will look at her and be overwhelmed with emotion and awe at how blessed we are and at this most precious gift God has given us... our family.

It's funny, when I put it that way, losing a little "me time" doesn't seem like a very big sacrifice after all.


I would love it if you joined me in sharing what keeps you going! Leave a comment to let me know you're participating and each week, I will include a list of everyone who is playing along.

**A very special thanks to my dear friend Jenn, my sister Em, and my papa bear for sharing some inspiration from your weeks. Love and hugs.**

8 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh, I remember feeling this way too. Believe it or not, after a while, I got the time back again. It took a few months and then my dear Nora settled into an afternoon naptime that mostly coincides with her big brother. It's usually not as long... 1 to 1.5 hours. But it is so nice to have that break! Hang in there Mama!

deo1929 said...

I'm not pregnant and I'm exhausted. I suppose with the demands of the past couple of weeks and Vacation Bible School this week, my emotional, physical, and spiritual reserves are waning. I'm looking forward to getting home tonight and collapsing into bed knowing that the day and the week is done.

Unknown said...

Knowing that today was the last day of summer school was what kept me going all week. We had a great school year and summer school was a lot of fun... but I am definitely ready for a break! Even though I still have to go to work until July 19th, having a break from the classroom until late August is going to be a very good thing :-)

em said...

Brandi Carlile got me through this week. her sweet singing made me feel like a loved, mysterious, sassy woman.

mary said...

The high point of my week was a letter John sent from his mission trip in the Appalachians. It was a very touching thank-you sort of letter that I will keep forever. Other good things on my list were Magic Jack, Handy Blues Festival, and (thank God) air-conditioning!

S.E.H. said...

Started reading your blog when I saw it listed on Em's, and I have been checking it steadily for a month or so -- thanks for keeping at it, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys reading.

Katie said...

My beautiful Taylor kept me going this past week.

We recently signed her up for kindergarten and in thinking about when and where she will catch the bus and where she will go after school makes my heart twinge - is she ready for all this?! The thought of my little girl navigating and entering the "big kid" world, oh my!

As we were talking on the way home from preschool last week, she commented on how excited she was to ride the bus and make new friends in kindergarten. I should have known not to worry about Taylor, she is more than ready. This mom just needs to get on board...this train is moving on up!

sara said...

love LOVE everyone's sweet words! I so look forward to reading your happy bits from the week and feeling like we're all a little bit less far away from one another. Thank you for sharing, as always! Much love to you all...