Pages

What Keeps Me Going

Fridays on this space are dedicated to sharing what keeps me going... A moment, a photo, an event or a memory that stands out against whatever might have gone wrong or felt dark in the last seven days.


This week has been a bit tumulutous with lots of way up highs and deep down lows. Amidst it all, the constant thing in the back of my mind that kept me going was the knowledge that as of last night, my baby sister would be back on U.S. soil. Even though I won't get to actually see her for three more weeks, the daily question of Will I be able to find her online or hear her voice? is no longer an issue, at least for now.

For now, I can call her anytime I want... on a U.S. cell phone... and not have to pay $.23 a minute. I can even send her a text message. I knew when she moved to Dominica that all of those luxuries we took for granted for so long would be deeply missed. I just didn't know how much. Last night when she called to say that she made it to Atlanta, I wanted to jump up and down and scream out for joy.

We kept getting phone calls from family members wanting to know if we heard anything. Then a slew of phone calls had to be made to let everyone know that Em was nearly home... She was in the country with one more flight to go. Everyone exhale. I felt like a publicist or an agent to a rock star. Where is she? Has she landed? Have you heard anything?

Damn, girl. You are loved. Welcome home.


I would love it if you joined me in sharing what keeps you going! Leave a comment to let me know you're participating and each week, I will include a list of everyone who is playing along.

Em, thanks for joining in last week. Your words always warm my heart and make me smile.

5 comments:

mary said...

What kept me going this week was a much-anticipated and long overdue Ladies' Night Out. It was perfectly timed for Thursday evening. We were sharing our first pitcher of margaritas just as Em was landing in Atlanta. So we raised our glasses in celebration of imminent family reunions. So right, Sara, that girl is loved. And I kind of like that cute little hubby of hers too.

deo1929 said...

the thought and reality of sleeping in my own bed again kept me going. From June 27 to July 21 I have only been in my bed 4 nights. The last 13 days were split between Houston and New Orleans...all without by soul-mate next to me. But now all is well.

Us said...

Two things...
1. Have you checked with your phone company about an international plan? We have at&t and Omar get's the int'l plan that is an extra $3something a month. Instead of a really high minute price to call overseas, it's just around five cents (depending on where you call). May be something to look into.

2. What kept me going this past week was the WONDERFUL surprise Omar and my best friend here planned for me. I met Rachel for breakfast and was surprised when Omar was there too. They told me of the plan and then Rachel swept me away for a girls overnight trip. It was so fabulous to be loved in that way. I REALLY needed the time away and was so happy that my first night ever away from my girl went so smoothly. Soooo refreshing!!! Sara...I recommend something along those lines before baby comes!

sara said...

Thank you all for sharing your high of the week! I love hearing about them.

Jenn, I have checked with the phone company and unfortunately, calling a cell phone in Dominica is just not cheap no matter how you try and do it. If they had a land line it would be much better, but for now we are stuck. The good news is that they will soon have a new apartment with more reliable internet access so the glory of the "magic jack" will be ours!

Also, it's so funny that you mention the overnight getaway because I JUST did that on Friday! I went on a retreat with the MOMs group from our parish and it was fantastic. I felt like I got to know the women in the group so much better and it was a much needed break. I tell you, sometimes I feel like we live parallel lives! Miss you!!!

Us said...

Ahh...Sara...if only we lived in the same town...sigh.