Pages

Birthday week

The time has almost come... Addie turns three on Saturday. THREE! Good. Heavens.

Although we didn't plan it this way, it's turning out to be quite the event for our girl. Last week, a trip to my parents' house turned into an impromptu birthday bash, complete with assorted cupcakes, singing, movie watching and lots of gifts.

Then (OK this part was planned), Curt and I surprised her with tickets to see Disney on Ice: Princess Wishes, just the three of us. We took her out for pizza before hand and sat in the sixth row to see all of her faves swirl around on the ice before our very eyes.


She was so excited and mesmerized by the show--it nearly made me cry. Because when I see the joy in my girl's face, it reminds me of a time when life was all about princesses and dress up and whether or not we'd have ice cream for dessert. When all of those characters were really real and I believed that someday I could be one of them.


When Daddy was Prince Charming and the world melted away because his arms blocked out everything else--especially everything scary.


Three is such an incredible age, I am finding. Imagination takes center stage, big words find their way into sweet childlike sentences, it's so easy to remember everything, still small enough to be carried but big enough to sometimes run ahead... Old enough to dream big dreams and young enough that no one will tell you otherwise. The world feels like a giant playground. As her mommy, I feel like a big part of my job is keep it that way for as long as possible.

So while Daddy works on big projects this week like prepping for taxes, Mommy is busy executing the plans for Addie's first kid-focused birthday party, based on a certain "unique stuffed bear". Oh you can be sure there's more on that to come!

No comments: