Pages

An update and Friday Pray Along

Just over a month ago, I shared some of the issues my family and I have been dealing with as a result of some thyroid trouble. (Click HERE for the full story.) In relative terms, it has been a short but scary road that has taken us all over the map as far as treatment projections and potential solutions.

The most frightening time was when I had bouts of pretty severe anxiety laced with a few panic attacks here and there. (I found it interesting that I had spent years counseling women in crisis how to handle and get through a panic attack, but when it was happening to me I came up quite short.) That swing of the pendulum came to an end about a month to six weeks ago and I found myself moving toward the opposite end of the spectrum. Instead of feeling stressed, anxious and strung out all the time I was exhausted, fatigued and worn out. My breast milk supply went way down. I gained weight (dang it), but I stopped losing hair. I tell you, you win some, you lose some...

Several weeks ago I had my blood drawn and the results showed that the hypothyroidism had become "severe". I could no longer continue down this road without medication. Up until that point I was concerned about how any drug treatment would impact my breast milk. My Dr. told me that continuing as I was could actually do more harm to my milk than if I began taking a supplement, which is considered totally safe for nursing mothers. She warned me that the first week on the drug can be a little rough, but once my body got used to it and evened out, I should feel a lot better.

Guess what? I feel better!!! As I look back on the last five days or so, I can say that I'm actually starting to feel normal again. I totally forgot what that was like. I'm not desperate to crash into bed at 9 PM every night, and I'm not laying awake in the middle of the night waiting for sleep to somehow find me either. I'm more even-keeled with the girls during the day. When all hell breaks loose, I no longer crumble and I make it to the other side without a feeling of failure. I don't feel overwhelmed at the idea of taking my girls out by myself. I am making it.

By no means am I healed; I still must have my levels checked every month or so. Now the million dollar question will be if I am a thyroid patient for life or if this postpartum condition will remain just that and resolve itself. But for now I am so grateful that we have found something that works and leaves me in a place where I can more fully appreciate my two sweet babes and my love who has stood by me through it all.

Today I am simply thankful for a good doctor and that my body is finding its way to a healthier place. I also pray for continued healing so I can nurture, love and care for my family in the best way possible.

What prayer can I hold for you this week?

Here's how it works: Leave a prayer request in the comments on Friday's posts. It can be anything--something you are thankful for, a friend you are worried about, a desire from your heart... Anything. By leaving a comment you are also committing to pray for others who comment as well. We'll start fresh each week. That's it. You can even be anonymous if you wish.

No comments: