Pages

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming... {FPA}

I woke up twice in the last week to tornado sirens. That's just the number of times I was awakened by them--there were several others as well, to the point that I looked at Curt and said, "I'm going to start taking a drink every time we hear one. I mean, lets make this interesting!"

Amidst all of the crazy weather, sirens and warnings in the last seven days, we have been incredibly fortunate. We are safe along with all of those we know who were in the path of storms far worse than ours. And even though I joke about the frequency in which we heard those bone chilling tones broadcast throughout our neighborhood, I am so grateful they are there.

Last night I looked out our windows to the east and saw this:


Then I held my breath as I looked out to the west and saw this:



We watched and listened for the sirens as the clouds moved overhead.


They never came and all we got was a few showers and rumbles of thunder. Relief. I think we all feel shaken up a bit after the images and testimonies that have come from Alabama. I know I had a knot in my stomach and choked back tears as I heard this incredible story yesterday.

Something that amazes me, however, is that for as many photographs I have seen of terrifying skies and funnel clouds, I have seen just as many pictures of the most beautiful rainbows once they have passed. It should seem trite but somehow to me, in the wake of all that has happened, it isn't.


Now I know the science behind why we see rainbows: the sun's rays shining onto tiny droplets of water in the atmosphere, etc, etc... But there's something so intense about the comfort rainbows provide after a storm passes. Even as adults, we pause to wonder at their beauty. That's no scientific coincidence.

I know that we are all praying for those who have been impacted by the storms this week. For those who have lost their homes, their earthly treasures and most of all their loved ones. I am also praying a simple prayer of thanks for rainbows; for the knowledge within them that God doesn't want these tragedies to happen, but even as they do, He is there. He is there to give comfort and hope to those filled with sorrow. May those in the wake of loss feel His presence in their hearts and look to Him in the days ahead. Amen.

What prayers on your heart can I hold along with you?

Here's how it works: Leave a prayer request in the comments on Friday's posts. It can be anything--something you are thankful for, a friend you are worried about, a desire from your heart... Anything. By leaving a comment you are also committing to pray for others who comment as well. We'll start fresh each week. That's it. You can even be anonymous if you wish.


{I'll be back with the final installment of our Easter chronicles over the weekend. See you soon!}

No comments: