Pages

My sisters

Yesterday made for a longer day of travel than I anticipated, hence my absence from this space. It's funny how it always feels so nice to be home again, no matter how painfully I miss those I had to leave behind. Sister time is so rare for the three of us that when it happens it is oh so sweet, but when it ends the knot in my tummy hangs on for quite a while.

And really, aren't sisters the best? Especially as adults, there is no comparison to the level of intimacy I have with my two younger sisters. Who else would see my naked body after having a baby and say with sincere curiosity and shock, "Your nipples are huge!" Who else would lay with me and my sleeping sick girl, quietly comforting me while I cry out of sheer exhaustion and frustration? Who else would jump at the chance to help me on a craft project, knowing that when I said I planned to do it myself I really meant that they would do it with me?


Of course over the years we have had our ups and downs. We've had big fights and little ones, huge disagreements over politics and religion, yet through it all we are here for each other through anything--good or bad. That kind of security in relationships is so very rare. I know I am blessed.

The incredible bond I have with my sisters is one of the big reasons I have always wanted several children. I have said for a while now that the greatest gift my parents ever gave us was each other. What more could I offer my own daughter than the opportunity to have friends and partners in life through her siblings? My prayer for Addie and this baby in my womb is that they can appreciate and love each other for all that they are, whether or not they are alike, whether or not they are the same gender and whether or not they share the same views of the world.


My baby sister is about to embark on the biggest adventure of her life with her husband. They are leaving the country so he can attend an international medical school for 16 months. While I am thrilled for them, I am devastated at the thought of being separated from her for so long. When we were saying goodbye at the airport, I felt like Jo in Little Women, "Will we never all be together again?" Well of course we will, just probably not until Christmas. In the huge excitement I presently feel at the beginning of spring, that seems really far away.


But in the meantime, there is such anticipation for the new ways we will be able to connect. Skype is definitely going to see a lot more traffic from this location. I am adding a new budget line item for international shipping costs to cover the number of care packages that will be heading farther south that I have ever traveled. There have been threats of violence if daily blogging does not become a part of my sister's tropical routine. And darnit if absence makes the heart grow fonder doesn't ring absolutely true in the long year ahead. We will get through it and if I was a betting woman, I'd throw in the lot that the three of us will come out even closer in the end than before.


The three of us--Sara, Kate and Em. Between us all we are a mom, aunts, daughters, granddaughters, nieces, friends, wives and of course, we are sisters.  How I love them... How I love us. Until Christmas, my dears.

4 comments:

Auntie Em said...

(in a three year old's voice) "thank you, sawa"

love you,
Emmie

Unknown said...

And I thought I got all my tears out on Tuesday when I said goodbye to you both at the airport!

This was a beautiful post and you summed up all the things I appreciate, love, and adore about the relationships we are so blessed to have with one another. Thank you for your words, but most of all, thank you for your love.

Thanking God for my sisters,
Kate

Den Bräckliga said...

You look so nice and so beauitful together! Can't believe that we are realted, and that I don't really know you! Feels like a loss, hope that we can meet up somewhere in the future. Until then, take good care of each other and your special band.
Wonderful post, Sara!

Love from Sweden,
Lotta

sara said...

Tears are welling up... again! Thank you so much for your sweet words.

And Lotta, I feel the same way. I am so happy the internet has given us a way to finally connect! Sending love to you as well...
Sara